Monday, June 4, 2012

Reflections so far...

We've come to a quiet place along the West coast of California and it's giving me some time to think.  It occurred to me that the blog might appear that we are  having a "perfect time", out here on the road.  Don't get me wrong we ARE having the times of our lives but, hey this is life and nobody gets a pass on difficulty!  So, I want to be honest in what I portray here on our blog.  At times it ain't easy!  I've come to the realization of how financially spoiled I have been.  The reality of a "fixed" retirement income is staring me in the face.  Yes, I'm suppose I'm whining because so many have much less.  For that I apologize.  I know that God is instructing me in this and that I have to learn to let Him teach me as we work thru difficulties.  With three months into our "journey" we've gone thru half of our savings cushion.  Most of which has been unexpected operating costs for both vehicles.  Some examples in the last 3-4 months; both air conditioners died, flat tire on the motor home, new valve extenders, leveling jacks malfunctioned, hot water heater blowout valve replaced, front rotors and brake pads replaced (Saturn), brake calipers seized/replaced (Saturn), serpentine belt tensioner broke/replaced (Saturn), couches replaced...etc, etc.  Also, gas prices here in California have really put a crimp on things.  We saw in Mendocino they were asking $5.82/gallon!  Insane!
Another difficulty is missing our friends.  I think most people think we are "unreachable" and view us like we are on a two-week "vacation".  I can certainly understand that.  However, out here on the road, while we are seeing and doing "vacation" like activities we are still "living life".  We don't go out every day.  We still have bills to pay, laundry to do, walking the dog, going to church, etc...  So this is just a different way of living for a year.  We are still available (most of the time) via phone, text, e-mail, Facebook and our blog.  We also are very much open for friends to come visit us on the road and come stay with us.  Got those new couches, ya know!  Or for those with RVs, hook 'em up and come "intercept us"! Maybe that's unrealistic thinking... dunno.
Sometimes, we've felt like we are crazy and we should just go "home" and end this "insane" journey.  This is especially the case when things don't go as planned or don't turn out the way we would've liked.  Then we come across a gem like Yosemite!  Or we meet great people with awesome testimonies of survival, war, recovery and salvation!  We too,  get to share our experiences...good and painful.  
Which leads me to a frequent question we get asked a lot:  "How do you all get along living together in a motor home?"  Like I said, "no one escapes!"  Not even heading out on our "journey" do we "escape".  Well, sometimes it does get tense and we've had our "Come to Jesus" meeting(s) where we put all our feelings and such out on the table as a family.  It's not "pretty" but, in that meeting and afterwards we work out some things and we've all realized that we don't get the luxury of "escaping" to our own rooms or shutting down on each other.  We must work it out, whatever it is or things will not go well.  We are all learning, as a family, how to do that.  It is a work in progress.  We don't do it "perfect" and when we don't it is painful to admit it to ourselves and to each other.  Speaking for myself, it is one of the hardest most rewarding things I've ever attempted to do.  Another question I get is: "How did you decided to do this thing...travel around for a year?"  Well, like anything in life it first requires a decision with a plan AND opportunity.  The opportunity part is in the hands of God.  I give full credit to Him.  Stacey and I did our part and He lined up the opportunity.  I could have never envisioned this journey ACTUALLY happening.  In fact, up until around 3 months until we "planned" to depart we were in doubt of the whole thing because the linch pin was the sale of our two houses and neither one of them sold. Was God trying to tell us something?  Are we crazy to do this thing right now?   Well, we rolled the diced and put both up for rent instead, thinking this can never work like this.  Well, how wrong I was!  Within a month both house were leased and providing income!  So, here we go!
"How long will we travel?"  That is another good question.  Well, both houses are leased for a year.  So....we are committed to at least living in our motor home for that time frame.  Admittedly, we both have our "ideas" of what we want to do during and after this trip and we "say" we are totally open to w God created "opportunities' He may have for us but, to be truthful that is pretty daunting...to be truly open to what God has in mind for us!  Are we really?  That might involve pain, right?  Who's up for some pain?!  Is this what I want or is it what God wants.  I'm attempting, daily, to hand that one over to Him.  Working on that one...daily.  It is a challenge, just like this journey symbolizes to me.

1 comment:

  1. Found your blog the other day and LOVE it! We are a full-time traveling family too, and hope to sell our home in July and hit the road again! :) We have had MANY 'family meetings' on the road, and though it is hard, life is hard! There seems to be so many blessings to life on the road, and so many special people and opportunities to serve. The Lord has shown us HIS church and grown us along the way. :) Lord willing, we will meet up with you guys!
    Blessings,
    Steph
    goldengangusa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete