Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Los Angeles Layover - Week 1

Me made it!  We are on the Pacific Ocean!  I knew the Los Angeles area was big but, until I got a first hand taste of it....GINORMOUS!  It is the second largest city by population in the entire United States, with over 4 million people within the LA incorporated area.  This does not count all the cities that merge all together in Orange County (e.g. Long Beach, Anaheim, etc...) The freeway system here is impressive with 8-9 lanes of traffic headed in ONE direction.  When it is flowing it is so nice to get across the LA area.  When it's not....UGGGH!  It might as well be an 8 lane parking lot.  I have one thing to say....the weather is absolutely AWESOME!  We are so glad to not be in danger of spontaneous combustion in the desert or wringing out our clothes from dampness (rain or snow).  I can really see how people can fall in love with the California weather and fauna.  Just beautiful.  The down side...the prices. Holy highway robbery, batman!  We saw gas prices ranging from 3.95/gal to 4.71!  With those kind of prices inflating every other kind of goods and services, the weather is about all one could enjoy after awhile.  
We originally planed to only be here a week, however, we really had a lot to accomplish and with the weather being so great and us saving money staying on a military base, why not?  After all, one of our going in modus operandi was being "unscripted".  So, change 1...we are staying for two!  Enjoy our saga of week one of our "LA Layover"!
Here is our campsite on the Seal Beach Naval Weapons Base.  The campground here is very nice.  There is a national wildlife refuge that is located on base and it is right behind our site.  It is a relatively small base and is very quite except for the fact that it is on the instrument approach for Long Beach and Los Angeles airports.  Not too bad though, as we are a ways out.  Anyway, the main mission of the base here is to outfit Naval vessels with weapons before they ship out to hot spots around the world.  While here I could see an AEGIS cruiser docked but, they were not here long.  Load up and go. You can read a little more about Seal Beach Naval Base here:  Seal Beach Naval Weapons Base


Me with the gals on Santa Monica Pier on the evening we arrived on the coast of California. Many famous movies were shot here on this pier. It was a bit chilly but, it felt GREAT after the heat of the desert.  We enjoyed watching the sun go down from the pier on our first Pacific sunset.


We ate at our last Route 66 eatery for this leg of our "world tour", while on the Santa Monica Pier.  I would've taken a picture of it but, it was dark.  So, here's the receipt to prove it.  I did mention many movies were shot on this pier right?  Well, as we were eating we noticed a bunch of guys running around the restaurant with note books writing stuff down, taking measurements, taking pictures, etc..  It almost looked like they were a bunch of health inspectors.  Turns out that these guys were part of a movie production crew and were sizing the place up for camera angles, equipment and the like.  We were the only ones left in the place when one of them comes up to us and asks if the milkshakes we were drink were good.  We told them, "Yes, they are!"  He turns to the rest of them and yells out, "Hey fellas, I think we all need to order some milkshakes before review the scene!"  How cool was that, to be in the midst of movie making right outside of Hollywood!

Of course, we had to get this shot with Hailey in the frame of the famous "Hollywood" sign.  Hailey has always been interested in movies and she really wanted to come here to see where movies are made.  I can totally see her as a movie director, producer or actor.  She has a talent for art, an eye for scenes, memorizes not only her parts in plays but everyone else's and she can dance and sing.  I don't think her imagination of this place quite measured up for her.  I think the reality of Hollywood did not match her idealization of this place.  Not a bad thing, in my opinion.

The girls in front of the famous Sid Grauman's Chinese Theatre in Hollywood.  We took a guided tour of the theater and learned that most all the studios have their opening movie premier nights here at Grauman's and most of the famous stars come here to view their movies for the first time.   You can read about the Chinese Theatre at this link: The Grauman Chinese Theatre 

Heidi looks down on the "walk of stars" and dreams of having her own star!

The hills are alive with sound of music....Hailey and Heidi love Julie Andrews and in particular "The Sound of Music".  So when they saw her star we had to get this picture.  You can see Heidi's feet in the upper right corner.

Hey, look!  There's the famous Heidi Breitmann with her celebrity mom, Stacey, out for a stroll in Hollywood. Quick ! Give me the camera!  Eat your heart out paparazzi!

One of our favorite preachers.

Our Star Wars fan has to get a photo op here, of course!

I'm feelin' pretty lucky on this expedition!  I mean I'm very blessed beyond my wildest imaginations! Unworthy that I am.  Clint Eastwood is one of my favorites in Westerns.  I could not resist! Also, I did take a picture with John Wayne's but, it did not turn out good.  He put is fist print in along with his cowboy boots in 1950 at his premier in "The Sands of Iwo Jima".  His cement was mixed with sand from Iwo Jima.  How cool is that!?

Had to try the "world famous" Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles in Hollywood.  And yes, I actually did eat fried chicken with waffles.  It is actually quite good if you like the combination of savory(salty) and sweetness.  President Obama is a fan of this place.  We saw his pictures on the wall when he came here.  His favorite: Chicken wings and a waffle.  I checked my politics at the door and enjoyed the soul food.  I did not want indigestion!

We could not resist checking out one of the most famous hotels in Beverly Hills.  Naturally, the neighborhood this place is in is definitely priced in the stratosphere.  

We decided to just stroll into the hotel like we were staying there.  I was a bit concerned that one of the bellmen would ask us if they could "help us" or ask us what room we were in.  To quote the movie Madagascar; "Just smile and wave girls, just smile and wave!"  So, in we went, cruised around the lobby, went to the restroom and strolled back out on the sidewalk past a myriad of Mercedes, Porsches, Bentleys, you name it,  back around the corner to....wait for it....our classic 1998 Saturn SC2!  Yes, please don't hate me for my car!

Hailey waits in the Beverly Hills Hotel for the rest of the "team" to finish in the restroom.  

Window shopping on Rodeo Drive.  We went into one shop and a guy behind the counter asks Heidi; "Can I help you?"  Heidi replies; "No thank you, sir."  The guy, looking astonished back at her, says; "You have manners!  Where are you from!"   

We had to take in an actual studio tour.  We've done the Orlando Universal but, this place is an actual working studio and a back lot tour is just that.  We saw actual studios and sets. Pretty neat.  While here, Stacey signs up to be in the audience for "The Tonight Show" with Jay Leno.  The guest was Steve Martin.  Stacey went by herself, while I stayed with the kids.  You have to be 16 yrs old to be in the audience.  Anyway, Stacey relayed back to us how scripted the show really is and the appearance of a spontaneous interview is just that...an appearance of.  Quite a lesson isn't it?  How much of an "appearance" are things in life...including our own.  Hmm...I think it's something everyone should work on...being authentic.

The gals on the "red carpet" at Universal.

How appropriate Heidi!  

Indeed, Hailey!

Okay, can I just say....WOW!  This was the absolute, most amazing experience I have ever had with respect to visual and sensory effects.  This thing actually gave the appearance of being "in" the movie, surrounded, engulfed, apart of it!  Unbelievable.  

Yours truly, the green-shirted "ogre" outside the town of Duloc, the happiest totalitarian dictatorship in the world...well, okay, the second most happiest!

Okay, enough fun and games!  Time to get to work.  I attempt my first air conditioner removal and installation job on our air conditioner.  Remember, our a/c went out in Nevada?  I'm proud to say that the patient survived and the new air conditioner has not been rejected by the motor home and the two are doing fine.  Not bad for a guy who did not "work" for a living for 20 years in the Air Force.  

More work!  The original couches in our motor home were sun damaged when we bought it.  Our short term solution was to cover them with slip covers.  That worked for awhile but, getting them off and on in order to wash the covers was a real pain.  Not to mention that each time we did the simulated "leather" was shedding off in large amounts.  So, we broke down and bought some new ones and I elected to save us some cash and do the removal and replacement myself.  No, problem....as I measured to ensure they would fit.  Yep, they will fit, says I!

Okay, the new ones sorta fit!  Had to do some modifications and you can see my best side here as I attempt to bolt down the couches as Hailey's curiosity gets the best of her. The install all seemed pretty easy until the last couch.  The mounting bracket happened to line up with the steel frame and my drill and bits were having a time with it.  I broke one bit and was wresting hard with how to make it work ,when a technician from Camping World where I took the motor home to buy the couches and install them myself behind their warehouse,  noticed I had been there a looong time.  He pokes his head in and says, "Hey fella, how's it going?"  I told him of my needing the correct tools to finish the job.  He proceeds to get some serious drills out and helps me without me asking.  He was on his lunch break.  I gave him a $20 for his help.  Who says there isn't nice people in L.A?!  Along with the air conditioner and installing new couches, I changed the oil in the motor home and replaced the water heater pressure relief valve and fixed the kitchen faucet.  Hey, don't look now but, I believe I'm becoming sorta handy.  

Molly is banished to the back of the motor home as I install the new couches.  She looks on with a face that says, "Hey, I didn't do anything wrong!"

We drove about 30 minutes to attend services at Saddleback Church.  You may know this church as it is the home church of Rick Warren, who wrote the book, "Purpose Driven Life".

Heidi and I on the way to the worship hall at Saddleback.

Hailey in the 3 & 4th grade section at Saddleback.  Like the L.A. area, Saddleback is huge!  Just the 3rd & 4th area had well over a hundred chairs..mostly full!
On our Sunday morning drive to Saddleback, Hailey puts this flower on my windshield wiper and she says; "Hey, look!  The shadow of the flower makes a heart!"  Sure, enough!  My girls have sure stolen my heart on this adventure.  Although, they try my patience and Lord knows I've tried theirs, we are all living it out together.  Lovin' it!

No comments:

Post a Comment